Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sometimes I'm not a very nice person

The title of this blog post is true -- sometimes I'm not. Today is a perfect example:

So I'm upstairs in my bedroom and I begin to smell garlic. Um, not the best smell, but I can live with it, especially since I cook with garlic -- so I live with it and don't think anything of it. Then, the smell gets stronger and stronger. Seriously? How much garlic is my roommate cooking with?

I go downstairs and learn that my roommate has made "garlic soup". What is in this concoction? Garlic, hot sauce, and water. Yep, that's it, and the downstairs smells rancid and I complain. Trust me, this is not my "not very nice person part." My roommate's response? She just laughs about the smell and tells me to get used to it. Seriously? Did she just blow off my seemingly legitimate complaint about the overpowering stench of garlic? Her belief is that since garlic is good for you, that a lot of garlic is even better, regardless of how it affects other people, especially those she lives with.

Okay, maybe I was a little out of bounds with my complaint about the "garlic soup" she created because, well, she's trying to be healthy. However, I take issue with people who latch onto healthy foods, without realizing their diets need to be well-rounded. Not just subsist on garlic and variations thereof.

So after my complaint about the garlic soup what does she dish herself up a bowl of: sauerkraut. Seriously? Is she trying to kill my already injured sense of smell?

Let me give you a little bit of background on this roommate. Lately she seems to be obsessed with her weight and working on losing "ten pounds," but she's not trying to do it the healthy way. Yesterday she had pickles for dinner, and finished off the large jar for breakfast. Today all she had eaten was her garlic soup and sourkraut...oh, and she told me she got lettuce today too...like I should be proud of her. Seriously? She doesn't exercise, she's just looking at a quick fix, and she takes other things to help her lose weight. Honestly, me and my other roommate are worried about her, her eating habits, and her "weight issues". Any advice?

Oh, and to me not being a very nice person? So, I had mixed up some hot cocoa and once the roommate in question whipped out the sauerkraut and laughed about my additional comment about being sensitive to other people in the house and told me to deal with it, what did I do? I went into the downstairs bathroom and grabbed a can of deoderizing spray and sprayed it in the air in the kitchen.

Her response? She complained about the smell, told me I was being inconsiderate, that I didn't need to spray that around her food, thus getting it in her sauerkraut, and she slammed the door to her bedroom when she went inside. Trust me, my mug of cocoa was much closer to the spray than her food, I pointed out that what I did was just as inconsiderate as what she had done, and it's not like the spray would/did change the taste of her food and my drink -- I drank all my cocoa. Alright, like I said, sometimes I'm not a very nice person.

The result? Well, I still haven't apologized. I probably will, but right now I still don't feel sorry for it. I don't want to extend an insincere apology, and that's what it would be if I gave one right now.

Right now I'm just counting down the days until the 21st of November when I am house/dog sitting some people's home for a week and I don't have to deal with this particular roommate. I'm just biding my time until I graduate and live on my own again. I'm tired of dealing with roommates. Everyone, no matter how much you truly love and like them, can get on your nerves after awhile.

Sorry, just had to vent.

No comments: