Thursday, November 18, 2010

'Gimmie a Break!

No, this is not in reference to the old 80s television show with Nell Carter...although, now it is. Rather this was my plea for help last night and all day today.

Thanksgiving break is next week and it couldn't have come any sooner...I wish it had, but it couldn't. They'd already printed all the calendars, so all my wishing was for naught.

Oh. My. Gosh. As this posting so far indicates, I'm a bit loopy right now due to lack of sleep and an overabundance of stress. Last night, for example, I was so tired that at about 7:30PM I literally laid down on the floor of my office to take a nap. I'd been on campus since 7AM that morning and had a meeting at 9PM with one of my classmates to discuss a discussion we were leading in class the next day. I had a headache (which is typically only brought on by lack of sleep) and figured the only way I was going to be productive and coherent by 9PM was to take a nap. So I balled up my jacket to make a pillow, set the alarm on my cell phone, turned off the lights and had about a half-hour to 45 minute nap. Yes, it worked wonders and yes, I was so tired and conked out so hard that I drooled. No shame!

It took all my will to get up this morning and make it to class (new snowfall and all) on time. I'm happy to say I've met (nearly) all my deadlines for this week and now I get to relax.

Ha!

It's a week without classes, but that doesn't mean I don't have anything to do. In addition to house/dog sitting for some people this week I will be grading approximately 500 pages of student work (blech!), and writing two 18-25 page papers (double-blech!). Admittedly, one of the papers should wind up being a chapter of my thesis, but I just wish I could have a break. Maybe after I graduate...no, then I'll have other stresses in my life--like what am I going to do now?

The one "treat" I am giving myself is that I am headed to bed now, not setting my alarm, and am going to sleep until my body decides I've had enough sleep--not an annoying alarm demanding I get up. It's the simple pleasures!

I just want to, while I'm thinking of it, wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving. May you be mindful of the blessings you've received and the blessing YOU are to others. Thank you.

No comments: