Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Save the Drama for Your Mama

Today as I was getting ready to put on my rollerblades for an exhilarating skate in the brisk 90+ degree weather in Lewiston, ID, I was looking at my legs and thinking about how banged up they are compared to those you see in women’s shaving ads and such. Growing up a tomboy, and being active throughout my life, I have my fair share of scars. One from a saw when, as a kid, I mistook my leg for a log; another scar from when I wrestled with a moving dolly and the dolly won; another from shaving; and still others from various raft trips, bike spills, and any other number of accidents and such. But as I looked at my none-too-pretty legs I appreciated the fact I have two and they work well enough for my needs.

With these two beat up and scarred appendages I am able to rollerblade, run, walk my dog, kick a soccer ball, paint my toe nails, dance, hang upside down on monkey bars, skip, jump in puddles, wear flip flops/Chuck Taylors (my two favorite kinds of shoes), leg wrestle, jump rope, do cartwheels, and any one of the other numerous things available. Some people don’t have both, or even one functioning pair.

My appreciation of the small blessings I do have was doubled when, on my daily commute home, I talked to a pregnant older sister and found there may be a medical problem with the baby she’s carrying. It’s still in the prepare-for-the-worst-and-pray-for-the-best stage, but after she explained to me what the dire possibilities may be she asked me how my life was. My answer…fine. I have no complaints. Everything is going as it should, because, really, in comparison what DO I have to complain about? I have two jobs I don’t dread going to work for, I’m almost done with school, I have a new roommate who seems normal -- so far, I have my health, and I have a wonderfully supportive family and group of true friends that I know love me and would do all they could to help me. So I ask again, what do I have to complain about?

Any perceived woe-is-me feelings have been pushed to the background and gratitude is gracing my perspective. Sure, things aren’t going exactly how I want them, but that’s not an altogether bad thing. I know myself and sometimes I don’t make the smartest decisions/choices. Maybe letting someone else lead is exactly what IS best for me.

4 comments:

Susan Cady Allred said...

It's amazing how easily we take the little things in life for granted, isn't it??

Patty Cady said...

Sad, but true. I rail against my students who seem to have a sense of entitlement, but don't we all feel and act that way at times? Because everything in our life, relatively speaking, has gone well we expect it to continue to do so and are taken aback when things don't go according to our plans. That, I think, is part of our continual learning and growing process. The gut-check that makes us stop, consider our circumstances, and really make us grateful for the little things and little blessings.

Chuck Cady said...

I have also learned, no matter how bad I think I have it--and I've had some bad times--I know I have it alot better than alot of people, and really, someone else has it much worse than I can ever imagine.

Chuck Cady said...

check it out, patty and my comment are both exactly 12 hrs apart. total coincidence and completely unplanned.