Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I don't wanna grow up...

When I was a kid – be-boppin’ around on my bike; walking a mile to school in the rain, snow (gasp!), sunshine, wind, etc.; sliding down the “hill” on cardboard boxes; walking with my imagination through the woods; climbing trees with greedy thoughts of grabbing the first apple/plum of the year; “practicing” fire drills while jumping from our second-story window; wandering aimlessly, but safely, through the neighborhood – I didn’t know how good I had it. As a kid I remember my mom warning me that the older I get, the fast time goes…and she was right! Of course, I also remember my dad telling us that whoever got the pickle in their pancake would win a prize – they got to wash the dishes! Um, yippe … two strikes and he’s winding up for the third pitch … lay it on us Dad -- “they’re not burned, they’re licorice!” – OUT! The next batter steps up to the plate…


As I sit at my computer typing into this blog rather than doing the responsible “adult” things I should be doing, I long for those carefree days. I don’t want to grade student papers. I don’t want to pay bills. I don’t want to go to work in the morning. As a kid, being an adult looked easy. In the rosy-haze of my childhood eyes no one told parents what to do. They got to drive, date, stay up late, and do whatever they wanted. Man was I deluded. None of it is easy.

That’s what the inner-child in me wants – EASY! But HARD is what I NEED. Easy is for those unwilling to evolve and improve themselves. Easy is for those that are lazy. Easy means anyone can do it … and usually poorly at that. Hard is where I have to exert myself. Hard is where my muscles (physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally, etc.) are built. Hard is where I become the kind of person I want to be. Hard is where the slovenly me, impurities, and weaknesses are left behind and the worthwhile comes forward.

Intellectually I know this and understand it, but sometimes it just seems to get too hard. Then what? Do I just whine and complain and annoy everyone around me, or do I pick myself up off the floor after my internal temper tantrum, dust off the last vestiges of self-pity and go back to work? Because that’s what life is…work. If you guess the latter, that’s what I try to do. Just suck it up, fake it ‘til I make it, and decide to change my attitude. Realizing that some things aren’t “in my boat” (thanks Heather!) and I can only control and change certain things; attempting to make like a duck and let all other things roll off my back like water.

Hopefully the forecast is for blue skies...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Who exactly decided what the grown up things to do are? I think sometimes we assume things are for adults, but they actually aren't necessary things in our lives.

Patty Cady said...

I agree, and I'm working on recognizing and realizing what isn't "in my boat," or what is necessary. You must admit that one of the great things about being an adult is that we can have our left foot in the "adult world" and the big toe of our right foot dabbling in the pool of youth (just be careful when the Hokey Pokey makes you turn yourself around).

I still enjoy doing child-like things, especially when I'm doing them with one of my nieces or nephews. Their wide-eyed perspectives and sincere expressions help me appreciate things like ice cream cones on a hot day, jumping in puddles, feeding ducks, making snow angels, etc. However, we have to admit that some things are responsibilites that grown-ups have: job, um...I'm stalled here. What else do I, as an adult, HAVE to do again?

Okay, I think you win the argument.

Score: Julie - 5,063 Patty - 2