Tuesday, September 7, 2010

...I wish I may, I wish I might...

It's amazing to me how sometimes the little things carry the most impact. As I've been taking my dog to the park to play fetch, or even just taking her for a walk, I've seen a lot of "fairy wishes" floating around. Let me explain what these are...

Nearly everyone is familiar with the childhood belief that if you make a wish and blow all of a dandelion's seed pods (white fuzzy stuff) off in one breath, than your wish will come true. An additional belief I had as a child is that if you catch a "fairy wish" (which looks a lot like a dandelion seed, but is minus the pod and is fluffy all the way around like a ball -- I don't know where they come from or what they're called) you can make a wish on it and send it back into the air where it travels to a fairy who will grant your wish. Phew! That was a long explanation for a short phrase.

So, as I was saying, I've seen a lot of these "fairy wishes" floating around lately. As they've floated by me or danced just out of my reach I've thought a lot about what my wish would be if I caught one. The ever present "wish for 3 more wishes" or "_____ million/billion dollars" flits through my mind, but then I remind myself that those are shallow and won't bring me any lasting or true happiness.

Walking Sage today I saw another fairy wish, but it was caught in the blades of grass below my foot. I cradled it in my hands so I could make a wish, but couldn't think of anything to wish for. I mean, I could make idle wishes on the wind, but what would be the point. I believe a prayer has purpose and is more effective. So I released my unused fairy wish and hoped the other wishes attached to it were answered.

My prayer? Health for my family, the recognition that whatever happens is for the best, and the ability to accept and understand this.

No comments: