Friday, August 6, 2010

Too Much of a Good Thing…

You’ve heard your parents say it. Shakespeare asked about it in As You Like It -- “Can one desire too much of a good thing?". - (Act IV, Scene I). Songs have been written about it by Alan Jackson and Bon Jovi to name a couple. And still the question is asked: Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? My answer: Yes, it is.
This week (my first week no longer working 40 hour weeks at LPD) feels like a week of Saturdays. You know how those days are – you sleep in, you run errands or watch t.v., do yard work, basically do what you want. So what’s wrong with that? Let me answer by using a Graphic Design saying: “Same, same, same is boring, boring, boring.” That’s right, I’m bored because I’ve been doing the same types of things all week.

I’m sure you’re all sobbing inside because of my boredom with doing whatever I want (insert sarcasm here). Okay, actually you’re probably giving me the mental middle finger or telling me to stop complaining, but that’s one thing I’ve realized about myself. I need goals. I need to be challenged and pushed. I don’t do “relaxing” very well. I’m not the type of person who can laze in a pool or do nothing – I have to be doing SOMETHING. I’ll admit that doing nothing is nice for a little while, but that usually only lasts a few hours.

I’m sorry to say that I can’t wait for school to start again so I’ll be challenged by what I’m reading, writing, my teachers, fellow grad students, and yes…even the student’s I’m teaching. I like the variety and the knowledge that I’m improving myself and learning something. Stagnant stinks and progress is desired.

Now, if I can only remember to recite this little pep talk to myself when life gets hard and isn’t going the way I want it to. Repeat after me: “Same, same, same is boring, boring, boring.”

No comments: