Monday, August 16, 2010

For everything there is a time and a season…

Just a random conglomeration of thoughts.

Tonight I was talking with Gabby, one of my roommates, and we were discussing particular foods and when we tend to eat them. I came up with the following list:

  • Beef Jerky – or really jerky of any type (chicken, bison, elk, deer, etc.) – is difficult for me to eat unless I am floating down a river in either a kayak or raft getting ready to run some rapids or camp on a beach for the night. Even looking at a bag in the store automatically sends me back to the summer on a river.
  • Raisinettes: This is a strictly movie-going food. I’ve never been one for eating a huge tub of popcorn or raiding the concession stand, but the moment I step into a theatre I have a craving for chocolate covered raisins.
  • Spam and/or Cup-o-Noodle Soup: This is a strictly hiking/camping food. Obviously the soup because it is so light that it doesn’t weigh down a pack when spending nights on the trail. And the Spam, well, when you’re hungry, you’re hungry and it’s like anchovies…does either thing really ever go bad?
  • 5-Layer Chocolate Cake: This one is more of an inside joke than anything, but I can remember one Thanksgiving on the coast, with a couple of my siblings, where we had chocolate cake and corn dogs for Thanksgiving dinner. Blech! I still have problems eating chocolate cake! Thanks for ruining that for me you guys! ;-)
  • Coffee cake: (what’s with me and cake?) This is a traditional Christmas Morning treat in our family. Oh the uproar the one morning when our Mom DIDN’T make the coffee cake! Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.
  • Black Olives: This is a traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter side dish. My experience has been that olives are best eaten after they have been impaled on each of your ten fingers and removed with your mouth. Yep, I only seem to eat them off my fingers on these holidays. I embrace my childlike side. Don’t judge.
Well, that’s all I can think of now, what about you?

No comments: