Tuesday, October 12, 2010

English Theory - bleh

Let me just say I'm more of a composition kinda gal (maybe that's why I want to teach high school English), but this English theory stuff is pretty dense and hard to wade through in an effort to create understanding. For those of you who aren't familiar with English theory, just stop reading this post now. The rest of this rant probably won't make much sense to you and I recommend you don't try to figure out what I'm saying...you'll thank me later.

So in the last two weeks I've read Derrida, Althusser, Foucault, Plato, Descartes, Nietzsche, Heiddegger, Deleuze, and now Judith Butler. Seriously? My brain hurts -- and not in a good way. I know, I know, I have nothing to complain about, but at this point I can't wait to be done with classes and not have to read 94 word long sentences like this gem from Butler:

"The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power."


Yeah, is your brain hurting too? Let me know when you understand what she just said, because I need to go find some asprin and head to class.

Later 'gator!

No comments: