Sunday, May 31, 2009

Where is home?

It's been said that home is where you hang your hat, or where your heart is, or a place you can never return to. If that's the case, where's this elusive "home" everyone refers to? More importantly (because this is my blog), where is MY home?

Is my home Alaska--since that is where I was born; or the Puget Sound, Washington area because that's where I lived during my "formative" years? Maybe Walla Walla, Washington is where I should call home because that's where a majority of my education occurred (junior high+high school+community college = 8 years). How about the Lewiston, ID/Clarkston,WA valley since that's the first place I forged onward and lived on my own for the first time. I currently reside in Idaho Falls, ID, so should I call here home? If so, then what about Moscow, ID, the place I'm moving to in a few weeks for graduate school? Is that just a blip on a moving map? Will I be able to call Moscow home?

If home really is where your hat hangs, then Idaho Falls is home now, but Moscow will be in the future. But if it's where my heart is then my home is splintered. My heart is comprised of family and friends that I love, but most of which live in various parts of the country. If home is a place I can never return to, then all is lost.

What do you think? What is your definition of home, and do you live at your home? Will I ever find my home? Will Batman and Robin ever be able to stop Penguin? Tune in to the next episode at the same Bat-time and on the same Bat-channel.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

A superficial answer would be home is the place where one currently sleeps. However, now that I live in Michigan, home is where you can drive around in an area and not get lost.