Sunday, December 5, 2010

Alright, the holiday season can start now

The stress of life has caught up with me and I've noticed that I've started biting my nails again. I will admit that I bit them for a long time until I sat myself down and had a little talk with me. I told myself I was an adult and had to take responsibility for myself and I was too old to be biting my nails. Luckily I listened because, well, I'd hate to imagine how that argument would have worked out. Can you imagine myself giving me the silent treatment? Yeah, not good.

So I had to sit down tonight and give myself the same talk with a bit of variation. I had to remind myself that although life may get stressful and I feel like there isn't enough time to do everything I need to, that I need to prioritize, admit that sometimes I can't do it all, and allow some things to fall by the wayside. These are all tools that are a lot healthier than biting my nails. We'll see if this pep talk works!

As my semester winds down and the grading and paper writing/revisions and deadlines loom, I took some time for myself this weekend. In order to restore a sense of balance and give myself time to breathe I took an afternoon and did what I wanted to. I drove down to Lewiston, ID with my roommate Gabby, we ate at IHOP (not the coolest, I know, but I wanted pancakes for dinner and somehow I haven't been able to find a place with good pancakes in this college town), went to the dollar theatre (again, how can a college town not have a dollar theatre?), grabbed a caramel apple cider from Starbucks and went to see the Christmas lights at Locomotive Park by the river.

It's not the lights at Temple Square in SLC, but Lewiston is the only place where you can do a line dance with lighted penguins to the Peanuts theme, dance in an igloo, run through a tunnel of lights that change as you race through them, dance on a huge pad connected to lights on a tree, ring the bell of a train, and feel like a kid again. Seriously, I loved seeing all the little kids dancing on the pressure pad connected to the lights. They were so excited and freely told me which spots on the pad activated their favorite color on the tree. Nothing like having five helpers telling you how you're jumping incorrectly and showing the adult how to do it right...and they were right. I wasn't jumping with enough joy in my heart and a big enough smile on my face. Thanks kids!

I was blessed to be able to share this with my roommate (that I actually get along with) and we took pictures of each other posing with life-sized gingerbread men cookies. I'd post the pictures, but I can't find the adapter for my cell phone. When I do I will download them. Until then, here are some other pictures of the lights I found online.

I can honestly say that the holiday season can now begin...as soon as I watch A Christmas Story. Happy Holidays!

No comments: