Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Let me first start off this post by saying if you called me yesterday, February 5th, to wish me Happy Birthday (and I know Mom and Dad did), I'm sorry I haven't returned your call because I left my phone at work...I hope. Argh! Who knew I'd feel so disconnected without that persistant little phone attached to me?

Okay, onto the festivities!

I had a really good birthday yesterday. I had to teach and take classes, so it wasn't ALL fun and games, but I tried. Do you remember in elementary school when you would bring cupcakes for your class on your birthday? Yep, I did that this year. My students in my English 101 class (the one I teach) got reallly excited when they saw the cupcakes. I got a whole lot of "Happy Birthdays" and one student asked me how old I was--and then he remembered his mom told him to never ask a girl her age. : )  I honestly don't mind saying my age (33 years old, by the way), because I know I don't look that old. Everyone says I look like I'm in my mid-20's (thank's for your genes Mom!). So the freshman munched, I lectured, answered questions, we watched some Hulu.com/YouTube videos and got out of class early. Then I went to my graduate level Chaucer class (which I LOOOOOVE--but I think it's the teacher and his ability to make Chaucer accessible and interesting more) and had cupcakes for them too! - Good times -

I have a bunch of papers to read and give feedback on, homework of my own to do, a house to clean, dog to play with...and I didn't do any of that last night. My roommate (Christiana - who is awesome) and I decided to go out and celebrate my birthday instead. So we started our "wild and crazy night" by painting pottery. I honestly wasn't sure how much fun it would be, but it was a blast! We spent about two hours just chatting, painting, and having a good time (I'm happy to say the place has a throwing wheel so I can go anytime and create something from start to finish. Bliss!) Then we went out to dinner at Gambino's and found out they have the best and biggest salads--for a reasonable price! We were home by 7pm (did I mention I'm getting older?), watched "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" (fun flick) and I was in bed by 10:30pm. Don't judge. It was my birthday and I wanted to get into bed before midnight sometime this week. And then -- here's the best part -- I didn't get up until 8:30 this morning! Yeah! I finally slept past 5:30am.

Yep, it was a good birthday.

No comments: