Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Um, I think my water broke...

So those were the words I heard at my temporary office job right after lunch. The girl I'm covering for has been having contractions for over a week (not steady and not for extended periods of time) and then she calmly informed me her water broke. Okay, so as an E-911 operator I have given instructions over the phone to assist childbirth, give CPR, call in a SWAT team, etc., but I was not prepared for those words, "Um, I think my water broke."

Needless to say a bunch of phone calls were made (doctor, husband, father, mother, in-laws, etc.) and the expectant Amanda was headed to the hospital. A scant 3.5 hours later her little girl, Taya, was born. Welcome to the world!

So the calendar is counting down and Grad school is fast approaching. In addition to still figuring out where to live (anyone have a friend of a friend of a cousin thrice removed that's looking to rent to someone at a reasonable price?) I got my reading list for my "Rhetorics of New Media" English class. Um, who ever thought that a book entitled Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy would be an interesting read? Or how about The Economics of Attention: Style and Substance in the Age of Information. I don't recall that on the New York Times Bestseller list. What happened to great books by authors like Poe, Hawthorne, Tan, Sinclair, Pound, Morrison, etc?

Oh well, my lot isn't to complain, but to acquire more knowledge...and torture the college Freshman English classes I teach in the fall. -insert evil cackle here- Let the fun begin!

No comments: