Monday, November 16, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star...

As I've embarked on my "teaching career" I've found that you have to take the good with the bad. Play good cop one day and bad cop the next. Encourage a student while ripping them a new one. And hold yourself to the same standards as you do your students. That being said, some of my students took great delight in catching me and "punishing" me with my own rules.

Just like every first day of class, I went over my expectations, the class syllabus, how to access Blackboard, yada, yada, yada. One thing I mentioned was that they weren't to text or have their cell phone ringers turned on or else I would make them get up in front of the class and sing. What's a little public humiliation between friends? To prove how serious I was about the rule, within the first week of school my phone "rang" in each of my classes (I set an alarm, but they don't know that) and the students took glee in making me sing. I was forced to sing "I'm a Little Teapot," with the motions, in both classes. Throughout this whole semester only one student has been forced to sing...and that was the last problem I had from him in this regard.

Don't worry, I'm getting to the point of my story. Unfortunately, just this morning my cell phone went off again. The ONE day I forget to put my ringtone on silence and I happen to get a call during my 8:30 AM class. Whod've guessed? Oh the squeals of glee from my students (hey, this is my posting, so if I said they squealed, they squealed). I tried to nonchalantly pass it off, but they called me out. What was their punishment this time? They told me to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" while standing on a chair and patting my head while I rubbed my stomach. (What evil students!) Of course I have my pride so I said no...to the chair part.

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star...

No comments: