Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!

I find it interesting how many people try to hide how old they are. A couple of people, while posting birthday messages on my Facebook page yesterday, gave me younger than I am ages. I'm proud to say that I'm now 34 years old and proud of it! Admittedly, part of that confidence is the fact that no one believes me when I tell them how old I am (they think I'm younger...or at least act like they think that to make me feel better about myself). My secret? Well, I have two: 1) Thank you mom for your amazing bone structure, and 2) I spend a lot of time with people who are younger than me, so I don't worry as much as others and tend to be more laid-back than others my age. Perspective is a huge thing.

Do I stress and worry? Um, do bears fart in the woods? (That's a yes, in case you don't know.) But I also know that there are few things that I can control. Some things just "aren't in my boat". I can control what I teach my students and how much work I do on my own studies, but I can't control how much time my students spend writing their papers or what grade I get on my own assignments. I can only do my best and leave it in the hands of others. If I fail a class, or my students, will the apocalypse occur? Of course not! Although, I would like to complete grad school with my 4.0 GPA intact. (I haven't done that well in my grades since elementary school!)

So, I received wonderful gifts, flowers, and birthday wishes that brightened my day. And from myself to myself? Well, I'm giving myself the gift of health. Let me explain this. I don't do New Years Resolutions. I don't believe in resolving to do something just because everyone else is doing it. I've never been a real follower -- one of the consequences of being raised by a father who wanted to make sure his daughters were independent and could take care of themselves (did I mention I rewired a chandelier last week? Um, yeah.). So instead of New Years Resolutions I make Birthday Resolutions. This is a gift that I give myself. It makes me really stop and consider what I want and also lets me gauge how I feel and what I think about myself. What are my weaknesses? Areas of improvement? etc?

Now, I'll be the first one to admit there are A LOT of things I could change about myself. However, this year I figure health is one that is important. My schooling is coming to a close and my life will be in flux, but what I can control, and should be mindful of, is my personal health. Eating better (less processed foods and more vegetables) and moving more (rollerblading, walking the dog, jogging, etc.) will both help me physically, but mentally as well. The better I feel the more productive and happier I will be.

You think I'm happy now? Just you wait!

Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Mal said...

Honestly? I could tell. ;) Just kidding! No, really, I never would have guessed you were that much older than me. I think it's your immaturity level. (Man! Look at me with the punches!)

But really, I think it's funny too that people try to hide their ages. I always figured I'd let my hair go gray and do my best to get enough sleep at night to hold off the wrinkles, but probably not much more than that. Age happens, it's not something you can really do anything about, so you might as well relax!

Sounds like you had an awesome birthday!

Chuck said...

I'm like you, people never believe how old I am. I just tell them our family found the Fountain of Youth and it's patented. But I do agree, hanging out with younger people definateltly helps keep a young perspective.

And, oh yeah, I hit 50 in 3 years and no, I don't even feel it. I've barely made it to my 30s!!! :)